Sunday, July 17, 2011

The seed was planted

Summer 1997

Hello freinds and family,

About 14 years ago my father, uncle george, rogebo, timmy and tommy all summited Katahdin, the highest mountain in Maine. Our first successful summit after three attempts. I was 13 years old and ready for anything.The feeling of being amidst the clouds in erie the silence made a profound impression on my young spirit.

A southbound hiker I once met on the Dragon's Tooth outside my college town of Blacksburg, VA was spotted howling off the top of the tooth in the ultimate exultation of freedom. His call of the wild was contagious. I decided then and there that I would attempt a similar feat... The seed was planted.

An idea to walk the entire Appalachian Trail in one extended trip.

My day has finally come.

Tomorrow my friend Nina and I will depart Roaring Brook Campground and head for the Baxter peak summit of Katahdin. If weather permits we will go by way of the infamous Knife edge. Atop we will meet my uncle matt, a committed high pointer, and my cousin Katie who will be travelling up the saddle trail. Here my 2175 mile journey will begin.

I want to let everyone know how grateful I am for all of your support and inspiration over the years. I want to thank my mother in advance for her thoughtful food drop mailings. And my father for driving me up here for the launch off. I want to thank the Konnarock and Mid-Atlantic trail crews for keeping this footpath alive and well. I want to thank the inventor of the food dehydrator and the two whitetail deer whose jerky will supply the protein needed for climbs over the Whites and beyond.
I look forward to keeping in contact with you all. My voicemail is working at 4434654261. I love you all.
Cheers
Ted Martello   (trail name:  "T-Mello")

Miles so far: zero

No comments:

Post a Comment